Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Day Without Shoes –April 5, 2011

Ciao a tutti!

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you this announcement…today, in public…I went shoeless!!!!! But it didn’t end there!


While surfing the internet last evening, I came across a link Go shoeless for a good cause which of course, peeked my curiosity being a blogger about shoes.The link took me to an MSN sponsored page where they described this global phenomenon of people and organizations going without shoes for an entire day, “…[T]o give visibility to the millions of children who grow up without shoes and are at risk of infection and disease.”[1]


Children without shoes in developing countries often face a myriad of injuries, illnesses and missed opportunities because they lack sufficient protection. Many treatable and preventable diseases (hookworm, podoconiosis, chiggers and tetnus) befall these children all because of inadequate footwear, and furthermore, many schools in rural nations mandate children to have shoes in order to attend, thereby depriving those without shoes opportunity.

Having a strong affinity to my own shoe collection, I went to the website to see what I could do. I decided to take the Barefoot Challenge and go One Day Without Shoes [2] to raise awareness of the impact a pair of shoes can have on a child’s life by taking off my own… (well, sort of). I don’t walk barefooted on the beach, much less around my own house, so yesterday I posted on my FB page that I would go shoeless at a meeting I had this morning… and I did…but I wanted to do a little more.



My blogging site gave me a forum in which to bring light to this cause, but being the creative spirit that I am, I wanted to bring my own flair to it, so I decided (sometime in the middle of the night) that when I encountered people I would tell them about going shoeless for a day (or for a moment), and we’d take picture together of our feet, to display on my blog as a show of support…and guess what? It worked!

Here is the photo gallery of all the amazing people I encountered who bared their soles….































 
Curiosity (of my shoeless condition)à (sparked a) Conversation (about this campaign) à (which has led to the) Action (of wanting to do more and purchasing a pair of shoes)à (in order to) Change (a child’s life).

Grazie to all 23 of my Shoeless Friends!

Stella Notte

P.S.  Shoes pictured above:

Day 18 : 04-05-2011
Shoe: Tribeca, A Kenneth Cole Production –The Winner
Color:  Bronze
Style: Wedge Slide Sandal
Heel:   ~4.72 inches (12 cm), Platform 1.2 inches (3.0 cm)
Material: Leather Upper, Leather Lining

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I have several pairs of Tom's shoes and love that for every pair purchased a pair will be given to a child in need--one for one!

    ReplyDelete