Thursday, October 11, 2012

Naughty Monkey -Divine, Black

Ciao a tutti!

With fall officially in full swing, I am left but feeling one way, homesick!  I've lived in several countries, and many states here in the US, but when I first arrived in Sicily, back in March of 2007, and we left the airport, it was a balmy 75 degrees. A snow-capped Mount Etna in the distance, palm trees, orange groves and the occasional olive tree lining the streets, and my first words: I'm home!

 

1.     home·sick  /ˈhōmˌsik/

Adjective: Experiencing a longing for one's home during a period of absence from it.
Synonym: nostalgic


I lived in Italy for nearly 5 years, and travelled both on and off the island quite extensively; when asked what I missed most about my time in Italia, my answer is simple: the everyday-ness.  I miss going to the coffee bar and the moment I arrive, my cappuccino is already waiting for me, just the way I like it, caldo, caldo caldo (hot, hot, hot); even though I had to battle through the traffic and throngs of parents who lived within walking distance of the school, but chose to drive instead, before I could indulge in my sweet warming beverage.


I miss going to the bakery and having the aromatic onion and and olive bread beckon me to buy it, only to find out I need to come back in an hour and some will be waiting for me.


And I sure do miss the festivals. With the heat of the summer finally at bay, one can enjoy all the delights of the season.  Our first stop is always the Pistacchio (pronounced pee-stack-key-oh or in english, pistachio) Festival in Bronte.  The first time we went, I counted over 20 items I had eaten, all made with this delectable green nut!  And then Ottobratta (the Italian Oktoberfest) in Zafferena; while Germany corners the market on beer, Sicily does it with food!  And every Sunday, they celebrated a different food: mushrooms, apples, honey, grapes and on a rare fifth Sunday, chestnuts.  And one year we managed to make it to Ottobrando (the Oktoberfest in northern Sicily) in Floresta, nestled in the Nebrodi mountain range -this region was known for its black swine, and that is what we ate!


So when I am feeling like this, I try to infuse a little Italy into my life...I head to a local bakery and buy something fresh and hot, and open up a bottle of olive oil I have flavored with garlic and red pepper flakes or I make some bruschetta (bru-sket-tah) with rosemary and basil from my garden and enjoy it with a glass of wine...my time in Italy was truly la dolce vita!

Baci a tutti!

Stella Notte

Day 262: Thursday October 11th 2012
Designer: Naughty Monkey
Name: Divine
Color: Black
Style: Platform Wedge Ankle Strap Sandal
Heel: 5.25 inches (13.36 cm)
Platform: 1.75 inches (4.45 cm)
Material: Leather Upper with criss cross-knotted vamp, jute trim along mid-sole and base
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment